Kamieniec was first mentioned in documents in 1348 at which time it belonged to the king Casimir the Great. After 1390 it was given by the king Władysław Jagiełło to Klemens of Moskorzew, Deputy Chancellor. Klemens of Moskorzew, who laid the groundwork for the wealth and prosperity of the Pilawa Clan, extended the Upper Castle, added the Middle Castle on the eastern side and so called "Przedzamcze Odrzykońskie"

(the approaches of Odrzykoń Castle) on the western side.

He commissioned and furnished a chapel on the upper floor of the Upper Castle. The chapel was consecrated in 1402. At the end of 14th century Kamieniec became the residence of Klemens whose grandchildren, in 1452, assumed the name Kamieniecki from the name of the Castle. Growing wealth and the improvement of Pilawa Clan social status were the merits of Henryk who died in 1488. The most distinguished of Henryk's sons was the oldest one - Mikołaj, connected with the royal court, who performed the function of the hetman of Małopolska region and was in charge of the defence of Ruthenian lands. In 1502 the king appointed Mikołaj Kamienicki as the first Grand Crown Hetman in the history of the Polish Army. It was at that time that the Middle Castle was extended by adding "Przedzamcze Korczyńskie" (the approaches of Korczyna Castle) on the eastern side. The co-administration of the Castle by the Kamieniecki brothers ended in 1512 with the agreement in which they divided the property. In 1530 Kamieniecki sold the Korczyna Castle to Seweryn Boner, whose daughter married Firlej, a son of Lublin Voivode. Between 1599 and 1601 the Upper Castle belonged to the Stadnicki Family, and in 1601 it was bought by the the Skotnicki Family. The subsequent owners included the Stadnicki Family, the Scipio del Campo Family, the Kalinowski Family, the Jabłonowski Family, the Fredro Family, the Starowieyski Family and the Szeptycki Family.

The history of the Castle inspired Aleksander Fredo to write his famous play "Revenge". In 1829, the then Napoleon army Captain, count Fredro married Zofia Jabłonowska and thus came into the possession of the Castle. While going through the Castle archives, he came across lawsuit documents of the Castle owners from the first half of the 17th century. According to the documents, Piotr Firlej and Jan Skotnicki entered in a long-term dispute that was only settled in 1838 when Firlej's son Mikołaj married Zofia Skotnicka.
The renovation works carried out in the Middle Castle and the Przedzamcze by Seweryn Boner, as well the restoration works carried out by the Skotnicki Family in the Upper Castle, at the beginning of the 17th century were the last ones in the construction history of the Castle. The role of the Kamieniec Castle as a stronghold and a strategic point ended in the first half of the 17th century. During the Swedish Deluge the Castle was badly damaged and despite the renovation and repair works carried out by the subsequent owners in the middle of the 18th century it was gradually declining, by 1786 it had already been in ruin.



Further information, opening hours and the list of other attractions can be found on the official website of the Kamieniec Castle.